analytics

Queue Total



NETFLIX QUEUE-
284 MOVIES (released titles only)

Note: Real spoilers are in black text on a black background. Highlight the black areas to read the spoilers.


Queue Numbers

#50- Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

#100- Black Swan

#200- Mysteries of Lisbon

Last- Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3 (2010)
Written by Michael Arndt, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich
Directed by Lee Unkrich

Synopsis
Now the kid is 17 and he's going off to college.  The toys are all worried about their fates.  Their adventures take them to a daycare.

The Woman
the kid liked this one. i think it would just make me more paranoid to get rid of any of my toys as a child. it could have inspired generations of hoarders. good job pixar! i don't really get why everyone thought this was so amazing. i much prefer WALL-E myself. the plot was very similar to the second one in the way of a new environment that is thought to be super fantastic and turns out to be terrible. and as moster was crying next to me at the end i was just thinking that they are just delaying the inevitable neglect/tag sale/ donation/ separation/ attic. usually moster is the glass is half empty one in our lives, but this brought it out in me. shme. nothing special.

ps randy newman is intolerable.

MOster
Let me say upfront that I am, in this context, PHRANDOMENALLY gay.  I bawled my fucking eyes out for the last 15 minutes of the movie.  And it was worthy of those tears because it was an emotional movie.  However, at the end of the day I'm a grownup and as such I can separate those feelings enough to say that while the movie was perfectly fine it was not as super-flantastic as I was led to believe.

Which is not to say that it was bad.  By no means was it bad.  I vaguely remember the first one and I don't even know if I saw the second one, but it seems to me that the story would have grown up along with the characters.  There are three plots here, and they converge into a perfectly satisfying denouement (and then the tears).  Emotions other than sillysadness all play out well, and the story itself is good.  Tension rides a good rollercoaster.

I also appreciate how the story doesn't really shy away from the notion that the toys spend most of their time idle and that they have true sadness and longing.  The way the film builds this up in the beginning is what makes the ending so emotional, and that's definitely the best part of the experience.  Almost certainly it's the reason why so many people identified with it so much.

So, yeah.  It's fucking "Toy Story 3."  To my mind it's not as good as Wall-E but it's still a very good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment