analytics

Queue Total



NETFLIX QUEUE-
284 MOVIES (released titles only)

Note: Real spoilers are in black text on a black background. Highlight the black areas to read the spoilers.


Queue Numbers

#50- Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

#100- Black Swan

#200- Mysteries of Lisbon

Last- Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker (2008)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
Written by Mark Boal
Starring Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, Brian Geraghty

Synopsis
A chronicle of some of the incidents in a super-awesome bomb squad in Iraq.


The Woman
me enjoyed this. i just watched a documentary on PTSD through all of the wars that america has been in, and this brought a lot of that kind of stuff into play. it makes me very sad and very aware of the stupidity and pointlessness of it all. some of the shots in this were a little outrageous and unessecary, it must be said, but as a whole the direction was done right to fit the topic.

going into this, what, a year after it won at the oscars, i thought most of the suspense would come from the bomb disarming stuff, but a very smart move was made, and all the suspense came from the danger of the surroundings. good job, lady.

MOster
This movie didn't do as much for me as it did for the vast majority of Americans.  It didn't make my heart gape, or whatever the fuck it was supposed to do.  I just wrote, "there wasn't much of a story," and deleted it; because that's not true.  I don't know.  I wanted to care about the characters, but it just wasn't happening for me (and it's certainly not happening now, however many fucking weeks later).

Academically-critically, however, this is very good.  Tension in the individual scenes comes across very well, and I actually found myself leaning forward in anticipation.  A slew of (possibly too many) techniques were employed in the presentation of this material; and there was only one egregious "STFU, director" moment.

There are other positives about this.  I expected it to have won Best Picture because of its political relevance and some kid of soapbox stance; and I didn't find that to be the case at all.  In addition, being a war picture it escaped the standard curse of "you know that the good guys will live" on the studio logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment